Saturday, January 21, 2012

Literary Europe II - Shakespeare & Company (Paris)

The one thing I wanted to do while in Paris was visit Shakespeare & Company.  (As you may have read in the Paris Post) I originally had no interest in going to Paris - but I did want to go to this bookstore.  The reason I wanted to see this famous bookshop was because of a book that I read, Time Was Soft There, by Jeremy Mercer.  I originally picked up the book for its title, knowing nothing about Shakespeare & Co before opening its pages.  I soon fell in love with the narrator (in a literary sense, not in an actual love sense) as well as the history of the bookshop.  It's been awhile since I've read it, but I definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys books(...that's a bit broad, isn't it?  I guess to anyone who enjoys reading for readings sake?).  I definitely plan on re-reading it again once I return to the States and can find my copy (if my friend who borrowed it ever did return it to me...)

The book that first interested me in Shakespeare & Co.


My hostel in Paris was located very close to Shakespeare & Co, and I was able to go my first night in the city, as well as early the next morning.  I didn't take any pictures inside, but here's a few images of the outside of the shop.

Very excited to finally be here!





1 comment: